Monday, November 26, 2012

NO EXIT

1. Read Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit." You can find the text online here and here, among other places, and you are certainly welcome to check the play out at the library or buy it at a local bookstore or online.

2. Be sure to take active reading notes and answer the questions embedded in the text.

3. Feel free to ask questions and comment to this post.

4. Create a post for your blog entitled "Thinking Outside the Box" in which you compare how Plato and Sartre describe the limitations of our thinking and imply solutions to the problem.  Be sure to analyze their literary techniques, especially their use of allegory and extended metaphor.

5. Invite ten people to read and comment to your post.

THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE ON YOUR BLOG BY COB THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble with question four. In the allegory it was clear what Plato thought of out limitations. He thought they were imagined and distorted and could be broken down with a simple turn of the head. In the play however, I find it to be more about how we let external stimuli torture our minds. I'm not sure if that counts as an answer because I think the limitation question 4 speaks of is supposed to be internal. There is a small part of the play where the absentees question their existence. Does that count as a limitation of the mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I read No Exit and, I gotta say, it reminded me so much of the Twilight Zone. Every time the narrator would start speaking, I would imagine Rob Sterling narrating it. "Think about the place you have chosen as your hell." Then with a folllow up with, "...a dimension of sight, sound, mind, etc." I nearly bust out laughing because of this and I really did enjoy the story a lot. It's one of my favorite plays now. :)

    ReplyDelete