Thursday, November 15, 2012

journal option

We have a long-standing tradition of writing in our journals every single day as class begins.  And, even in the Information Age, I have a personal preference for the physical act of writing.  There's something about the blank page, feeling the pen-- it is at once very "in the moment" and very ancient.

I also like the idea of having a private notebook that isn't for others to see unless invited.  Lastly, there is something inexplicably familiar and wonderful about kicking back after everyone else leaves on Fridays and reading those notebooks.  I don't really like the idea of kicking back and spending MORE time looking at a screen!

Still, I've emphasized hacking the course to meet your needs, and we're learning a lot about Information Age tools, so when Ashlie asked to keep her journal online I said yes.  And since I said yes to her I'm offering (but unashamedly not endorsing) the same to you.

(Please Note: If you make this switch, please be mindful that some of your innermost thinking is not what you want to put online.  Please also make sure to save your work so that if for any reason your online journal gets deleted it won't affect your performance in the course.)

2 comments:

  1. https://etherpad.mozilla.org/PgpzRKmV1K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the fact that you "like the idea of having a private notebook that isn't for others to see unless invited." and you also enjoy "kicking back after everyone else leaves on Fridays and reading those notebooks." I'm going to assume that YOU were "invited" Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete